The Internet4Good (I4G) Video Story Contest is now open for submission. With the aim contribute to a positive narrative about the internet for young Africans, the Internet4Good project launches the I4G Video Story Contest with the support of the Bosch Alumni Network.
In recent times, there has arisen a notion that the best thing young Africans can do with the internet is to engage in scam or fraud. Global media platforms have carried stories on young internet scammers especially from Africa, which have contributed to shaping a negative international image. This rise of negative reporting around “African internet scams” has fostered a moral panic around internet use and, in some cases, deprived young Africans from ethical internet-related opportunities.
According to Oyindamola Adegboye, the Project Lead for Internet4Good, ” If we do nothing to change this narrative, it would stick. It is time we told our own stories.”
The Internet4Good project therefore encourages young Africans from across the world to share their positive experiences about using the internet – to inspire others and project a better image of themselves within global media.
Citizens of any country in Africa between 18-30 years old are eligible to participate
- Follow @internet4good on Instagram
- Repost the #I4GVideoVideoContest flier on your Instagram page and tag your friends to apply
- Upload your video on Instagram describing your positive experiences using the internet, what you have learnt and how it has impacted your life and others. It should be unedited, not more than 1 minute
- Use the hashtag #I4GVideoStoryContest and tag @internet4good in your caption
- Your story should address one of these themes: Personal Development, Advocacy, Entrepreneurship, Access to Information, Networking and Culture
- Multiple entries are not allowed
First Prize – 150 Euros
Second Prize – 100 Euros
People’s Choice Prize (the Highest Online Engagement) – 100 Euros
Deadline: 18 October 2020
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to get more updates on the project.